Apprentice Dellhater

When my HDD crashed, I ran the diognostics, here is what it came up with:

In the "Read Test", the following error message was detected:
Error Code 0F00:0244
Msg Block 5177324: Uncorrectable data error code or media is write protected

In the "Verify Test", the following error message was detected:
Error Code 0F00:1A44

I've read in other message groups that a sector on the drive went bad, and it'll just start spreading all over the drive. Is it a mechanical issue or a software? Dell just sent me a new drive, if I put the new drive in as a master and the old one as a slave, will I be able to recover the data from the old one? Will it affect the new drive somehow?

I know that I can go to a "professional" data recovery people, but they quoted me rates from $900 to $8,900 to recover my drive, I can buy a new computer for this money.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:50 pm 
Emperor of Dellhateology

AlexL wrote:
if I put the new drive in as a master and the old one as a slave, will I be able to recover the data from the old one?

Maybe yes, maybe not...

Quote:
Will it affect the new drive somehow?

Nah, go ahead and do it.

If we don't remember our past, we can't understand our present and we can put in danger our future...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:58 am 
Emperor of Dellhateology

Drive is toast... you COULD get that data off there if you put it in the M/S config your talking about but doubt it.

Keep your data backed up and you wont have this problem.

Best of luck too ya

Post subject: Re: Error Code 0F00:0244
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:41 am 
Chancellor of Dellhateology

AlexL wrote:
Is it a mechanical issue or a software?

Mechanical issue. If it was software, you'd probably be a lot better off, especially with the prospects of recovering your data.
Quote:
will I be able to recover the data from the old one? Will it affect the new drive somehow?

Depends on how bad the damage is - if it's only a couple of sectors, more than likely you'll be able to recover the data. As with anything else, your results may vary. It won't affect the new drive, just be sure that the jumpers are set properly for the drives (either both in cable select, or one master one slave), or the drives won't be detected.

Quote:
I know that I can go to a "professional" data recovery people, but they quoted me rates from $900 to $8,900 to recover my drive

I gotta get in on that action... :wink:

As Brother Grissom noted, making regular backups are a sure-fire solution to the problem. After this experience, I don't think you'll have a problem with that, right? :wink:

Post subject: Data recovery
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:45 pm 
Apprentice Dellhater

I hooked up the old drive set in slave position with the new drive set as a bootable master, but the system just hangs, after the Windows window (I have Windows XP pro) it goes black and nothing happens.

I'm trying to downloand Knoppix right now and boot off it, see if I can get anywhere that way.

BTW, I do back up, all my files are on the former drive D, which is fine. The old C: drive had all my e-mail directories from Outlook Express. That's the only thing I didn't back up. So, at least I'm 90% OK :)

Post subject: i have this problem too...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:29 pm 
Discovering Dellhate

i realise i'm a bit late on this thread, but am having the same problems: error code 0f00:0244 and error code 0f00:0240 with messages "uncorrectable data error or media is write protected" and "address mark not found or media error". i got this on about 10 - 15 blocks when i ran a test and have since ordered a new harddrive, set to arrive any day. now i am being an eternal optimist and hoping i can get my files off my old harddrive, i didn't back up recently enough and had a lot of valuable pictures that i won't be able to replace if this doesn't work.

my problem is this: i'm not sure exactly how to do the master/slave drive thing.. i've just been searching in google and then tech support forums but would greatly appreciate a step-by-step of exactly what i can do (i also have a desktop available) including exactly what items i would need (i've read about some ide usb 2.0 cable thing but am not sure what that is or what to then do with it if i buy one). thanks so much for your help, i am pretty ignorant. oh, my laptop is a dell 5100 if that helps at all?

- aubrey

Post subject: Re: i have this problem too...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:36 pm 

aubrey wrote:
i realise i'm a bit late on this thread, but am having the same problems: error code 0f00:0244 and error code 0f00:0240 with messages "uncorrectable data error or media is write protected" and "address mark not found or media error". i got this on about 10 - 15 blocks when i ran a test and have since ordered a new harddrive, set to arrive any day. now i am being an eternal optimist and hoping i can get my files off my old harddrive, i didn't back up recently enough and had a lot of valuable pictures that i won't be able to replace if this doesn't work.

my problem is this: i'm not sure exactly how to do the master/slave drive thing.. i've just been searching in google and then tech support forums but would greatly appreciate a step-by-step of exactly what i can do (i also have a desktop available) including exactly what items i would need (i've read about some ide usb 2.0 cable thing but am not sure what that is or what to then do with it if i buy one). thanks so much for your help, i am pretty ignorant. oh, my laptop is a dell 5100 if that helps at all?

- aubrey

problem 1: you have a laptop

in order to even attempt to get your data off: you will need to purchase a converter cage to convert the laptop hard drive into a drive that can be plugged into the desktop or laptop externally.(they have different ways of being hooked up) an example can be found here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1086960&CatId=1204.

thats going to be the easiest solution. it basically turns it into a usb drive. and away you go..drag and drop. and start doing regular backups...

3. Repeat step 2 as needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:02 am 
http://www.casecooler.com/3drto2dr.html

Boot the system to Ghost (See Norton Ghost @ http://www.symantecstore.com) and make a disk image of the entire drive. This should be a 1:1 image in that there is no compression. Boot the system up to Windows and see if you can recover files using Ghost to examine the image file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:49 am 

aubrey:

Does the laptop still boot? Since you said you have a desktop system available, I'm assuming you also have some type of LAN in your home? If so, hook that laptop up to the network and copy everything to a folder on the desktop's hard drive.

Post subject: Re: Error Code 0F00:0244
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:54 pm 

AlexL wrote:
When my HDD crashed, I ran the diognostics, here is what it came up with:

In the "Read Test", the following error message was detected:
Error Code 0F00:0244

In the "Verify Test", the following error message was detected:
Error Code 0F00:1A44

I've read in other message groups that a sector on the drive went bad, and it'll just start spreading all over the drive. Is it a mechanical issue or a software? Dell just sent me a new drive, if I put the new drive in as a master and the old one as a slave, will I be able to recover the data from the old one? Will it affect the new drive somehow?

I know that I can go to a "professional" data recovery people, but they quoted me rates from $900 to $8,900 to recover my drive, I can buy a new computer for this money.

Thanks.

AlexL:

Is this a desktop or a laptop? Do you know who is the manufacturer of the hard drive - Maxtor, Western Digital, Hitachi, Seagate?

Post subject: Re: i have this problem too...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:25 pm 

aubrey wrote:

- aubrey

Before you spend any money on new stuff, try to run a "chkdsc /r". If that does not repair some of the damage and lets you boot into the system at least, then you know you're screwed. If it works, do what the guys said so far. If it doesn't, your only choice would be a Data Recovery Service, at your local computer store, which could cost anywhere between 100 bucks to 3 grand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:07 am 
Apprentice Dellhater

basically, uncorrectable data error or media is write protected error means hdd has to be replaced. dell can do that automatically if your under warranty.

the error means hdd has bad sectors already. chkdsk /r cannot fix that. but theres a chance of reinstalling os on the hdd. os reinstall process freezing up is a possibility though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:06 pm 
Journeyman Dellhater

bye bye hard drive :lol:

if incase your system was puchased after aug 2004...try and ask for an imaged hard drive or a systems restore disk to cut the time of reinstalling windows =)

ask if you can ask for another brand of HD with the same capacity if its alright....

IT WASN'T ME WHO SCREWED UP?!
= How I'd love to say that to my boss =9

Dell Sux

Post subject: No Baby No
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:52 pm 
Discovering Dellhate

LIKE IT SEZ Uncorrectable data error code or media is write protected

if its bad Media then Drive is Toast......Only Formatting mite help u but recover data no baby no

:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:32 pm 
Discovering Dellhate

I realize many people have answered here, but I thought I would put my 2 cents in since I have been working with Dell computers for 8 years. If you want to recover data your best bet is to do the following.

1) Install the New drive and OS, Make it a Master

2) Shut Down and install the old drive as a slave

3) Boot up and move your data.

The more time this drive is up the more chances you are taking with your data. So if you see this or the famous Hard Disk 0 not found, realize the amount of time this drive will be able to give you your data is limited. Could be hours could be minutes. Don't use the drive if you can help it except to retrieve data.

MCDST
MCP
Security+
Microsoft Security