Studio 540 won't power on

Primarily for user issues. We may be able to assist with Dell hardware problems, and other brands.
GripeIsMe
Journeyman Dellhater

#1 Postby GripeIsMe » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:11 am

OK I have a customer with a Studio 540. It will not power on. Replaced the PSU Still no power on. Replaced MBD AND PSU again still no power on. The fans spin for a sec when you plug in the power cord as usual but will not power on after that. Have told DSPQ to send an on off switch. The last parts sent were PSU & MBD and I/O panel. I/O panel did not show. Told them dipshits that the on off switch is not part of I/O panel. This cust has been w/o his PC since July 31 over this crap!

Rocke_T_Sinetist
Admin

#2 Postby Rocke_T_Sinetist » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:33 am

Left Dell for the last time in late 2005. No idea what a Studio 540 is. Desktop? Roughly same chassis as all their consumer desktops? Or the workstation line?

In consumer the switch IS part of the I/O panel, and not available as a standalone part. Not only that, but the I/O panel contains a capacitor across the 5V line which can short and prevent turnon.
Rocke T Sinetist
as in, 'it doesn't take a...'

100pcob
PhDh--Doctor of Dellhateology

#3 Postby 100pcob » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:08 pm

A lot of things can cause no power...bad ram, bad modem card, bad ANY card, which shorts out the PSU.

In addition, the voltage surge might also damage the parts you've already replaced. Twice. Not a fun prospect, but it is a possibility.

But I swear, I have replaced all the parts in an HP computer (ALL OF THEM, at the same time), and it still won't power on. But that only happened once.

steinr
Discovering Dellhate

#4 Postby steinr » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:15 am

Gripeisme, any luck with your customers 540.
I encoutered the same problem tonight. Online with Dell, removed all expansion cards, memory and disconnected the hard drives. Still same problem. Power goes on, fans spin for a second and stop. I have in house service and they plan to replace power supply and motherboard.

stygshore
Discovering Dellhate

Re: Studio 540 won't power on

#5 Postby stygshore » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:50 am

steinr wrote:Gripeisme, any luck with your customers 540.
I encoutered the same problem tonight. Online with Dell, removed all expansion cards, memory and disconnected the hard drives. Still same problem. Power goes on, fans spin for a second and stop. I have in house service and they plan to replace power supply and motherboard.

Any resolution to this ( I know, Im a newb resurrecting this thread )

I noticed a loud fan noise in my Studio 540

I ran a vaccuum in it yesterday to clean out the dust bunnies,and we have had 5 or 6 power outages over the last week in this area, so figured something might have been damaged. ( I do have it running off a UPS )

Now I go go turn the box on today and the fan spin for 2-3 seconds, then stop, little green light on the back goes out - seems like same problem you are/were having.

Styg

diashto
Admin

#6 Postby diashto » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:22 am

Unless it was a vacuum specifically designed for electronics, you may have fried teh board. The hose from a regular vacuum cleaner generates a TON of static electricity.. and static electricity and computers do not mix.

stygshore
Discovering Dellhate

#7 Postby stygshore » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:13 am

diashto wrote:Unless it was a vacuum specifically designed for electronics, you may have fried teh board. The hose from a regular vacuum cleaner generates a TON of static electricity.. and static electricity and computers do not mix.

Possible, never had an issue with it before, and it was a little hand held vac, not a full sized house vaccuum.

i detached and reattached everything a few times yesterday and got it to power up, then turned it off moved it to the computer desk and reattached all the periferals and... no go again. It almost seems like there is a short - I have tried about 20-30 times to reproduce the fluke start up but no go - anyone else have this issue and get it working?

Styg

stygshore
Discovering Dellhate

#8 Postby stygshore » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:21 pm

bad power supply was the cause - craptastic Bestec power supplies Dell uses - arent these the=ings standaed in E-Machines!?!?!?!

Styg

cwizard
Journeyman Dellhater

#9 Postby cwizard » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:12 pm

I had a desktop doing the same thing last year when I worked as a contract Field Service tech for DHell... Turned out to be the CPU itself. Thermal overload... Bought a new one off of eBay and replaced it, FIXED. Dhell support monkeys sent all new parts, EXCEPT the CPU which they refused to do. I told them repeatedly it was the CPU. I went onsite 5 times before the customer asked me to just buy a friggin CPU and fix it myself. Cost DHell a fortune in parts going back and forth... hehee.. and another pi**ed-off customer (like they cared anyway).

Return to “My Shit's Busted and I Need Help Fixing it”