Dell complaints

The #1 Dell complaint forum
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Flash BIOS
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 am 
Graduate Dellhater

That is an interesting solution. It never worked well for me when working remanufacturing. Glad reflashing the bios and your unique discovery worked. I will remmember it in the future!

Camaros Rule!

Post subject: Dell Latitude D610 error "Manufacturing Mode: Level [67
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:37 pm 
Discovering Dellhate

I've been having the same problem.

I "hard" shutdown my Latitude D810 (running WinXP) after it stopped responding - and the "System" process was taking up 100% of the CPU. I couldn't even shut down via the Task Manager.

After getting the Manufacturing Mode [67] error, having may of the same symptoms mentioned above - and getting very frustrated - I walked away for a few hours. When I came back, it booted into windows w/o a problem.

Upgraded the BIOS from v.A03 to v.A05.

Ran the Dell Diag disk and found no errors with the hard drive.

Booted again into Windows and things looked good. Yet after about an hour the "System" process was taking up 100% of the processor again, and I can't even shut down via the OS. The only option is to press the power button to shut down, and then I end up getting the "Manufacturing Mode [67]" error again.

Is anyone else seeing the "System" process taking up all of your CUP cycles? Did you ever figure out a solution?

The only thing I can think of is that I just upgraded to Thunderbird 3.0 and was messing around with the chrome settings to customize my email display. Can't see how that would have ANYTHING to do with the motherboard though...

Any thoughts/help appreciated!

Post subject: SO!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:28 am 
Discovering Dellhate

Hi, first let me say that I do not know a lot about computers, but enough to follow troubleshoot instructions I've found on the web.

Nothing worked when I got Manufacturing Error 67, and hours earlier, my computer was fine.

I then gave in to having my computer diagnosed at a local computer store, and found out that the only thing wrong was the computer's memory. So I payed the $60 the store wanted for the memory and had a friend put the memory in for me.

Now, the computer runs fine.
I hope that helps you guys figure out what's been wrong too.

Post subject: Fix
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:42 pm 
Discovering Dellhate

Well, as for me, it turns out that it was my motherboard. Found a cheap one, replaced it and everything's working fine now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:05 pm 
Discovering Dellhate

This may or may not help... but it is a very useful tool when dealing with bios issues on dell notebooks. It is the actual BIOS Upgrade For Service Technicians Only Disc that comes with replacement boards. It has 172 different BIOS updates for several Dell Notebooks. 3 files make an iso file to burn. Enjoy!

http://cid-d647494e9bbeecd0.office.live ... b=SDX.Docs

gk64419
:D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:41 pm 
Journeyman Dellhater

Where is the Fn-X key?

All of a sudden my dell laptop won't boot and I'm getting this message:

Manufacturing Mode - level 67

Press Fn-X to return system to normal running mode.

Thank you in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:49 pm 
Admin

FN is like, the 'shift' key that activates secondary (blue lettered) key functions. And X is X.

You mean this thing was working and one day you turned it on and it said that? That's really not supposed to happen spontaneously. Manufacturing mode is where the BIOS comes set from the factory before the OS image gets installed. It boots to Dell's internal network to download the drive contents. Once MM is cleared it's not supposed to 'just come back'.

But things happen. Try FN + X and see if it goes back to working properly, or at least says something different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:11 pm 
Journeyman Dellhater

Rocke_T_Sinetist wrote:
FN is like, the 'shift' key that activates secondary (blue lettered) key functions. And X is X.

You mean this thing was working and one day you turned it on and it said that? That's really not supposed to happen spontaneously. Manufacturing mode is where the BIOS comes set from the factory before the OS image gets installed. It boots to Dell's internal network to download the drive contents. Once MM is cleared it's not supposed to 'just come back'.

But things happen. Try FN + X and see if it goes back to working properly, or at least says something different.

It's a Lattitude 610 and has worked fine up until today. Tried as suggested but it only got me to where it says battery low, etc. (and it's plugged in).
F1 wouldn't do anything either, so I powered it off.

edited to add - I called local repair shop and the guy said fairly common with Dell laptops and to bring in for re-load of OS. I'm not sure if he's guessing or ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:26 pm 
Admin

I haven't been there for 5 years. When I was, that message couldn't just turn itself on and you'd only see it on a new machine that the factory failed to image.

Evidently that's now the default "OS not found" message. Don't be surprised if the shop says your drive is bad. That's also typical of Dell laptops, and typical of how the OS suddenly becomes 'unfindable'.

Post subject: Re: I Solved the Manufacturing Mode Level [67] issue!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:42 pm 
Journeyman Dellhater

Marcelo Vianna wrote:
Hello,

I´m not sure this will work for everybody, but it did for me. As many folks posted, the solution indeed required re-flashing the BIOS, but the problem is how to do this if we cannot even get to the BIOS SETUP or booting Windows...

Well for me the trick that worked was to wait until the machine asked me to hit F1 to continue (which takes awhile since it first asks to press Fn-X), at this point, instead, I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and surprisingly, the machine booted fine. I then DIDN´T go to SETUP, but I allowed Windows XP to boot and then I reflashed the BIOS.

Problem solved, like magic!!!

PS: The first time I tried to go to the BIOS SETUP, but the machine frozen, then, the second time I left Windows to boot straight using the same CTRL+ALT+DEL approach, so, my advice is: do not push your luck if you manage to boot like I describe above by trying to launch the BIOS SETUP utility, let Windows boot instead and re-flash your BIOS.

I Hope this works for everyone who gets a similar issue!

I tried this too, but it didn't work for me. CTRL+ALT+DEL just took me back to Manufacturing Mode Level 67 and black screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:44 pm 
Journeyman Dellhater

Rocke_T_Sinetist wrote:
I haven't been there for 5 years. When I was, that message couldn't just turn itself on and you'd only see it on a new machine that the factory failed to image.

Evidently that's now the default "OS not found" message. Don't be surprised if the shop says your drive is bad. That's also typical of Dell laptops, and typical of how the OS suddenly becomes 'unfindable'.

Okay. Can't afford another laptop right now, so I'm hoping for the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:56 pm 
PhDh--Doctor of Dellhateology

Try removing the battery and starting. If the battery is not charging or has gone bad you will not be able to flash the bios. You can only flash them with a good battery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:24 am 
Journeyman Dellhater

Update:

I had the laptop plugged in, but not on, and it loaded up fine last Friday. I used it for a couple of days with no problems. Then I decided to create a new restore point this morning and it bounced back into that MM again!

I'm guessing that it will boot up again (at some point) and when/if it does, what should I try to do? F12, maybe? then what?

Thanks again in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:23 pm 
Journeyman Dellhater

This is bizarre!

Got it into boot mode (F12) and ran diagnostics and everything passed.

Windows loaded and after about 3 minutes, it bounced back to
Manufacturing Mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:52 pm 
PhDh--Doctor of Dellhateology

When you turn it on start tapping F2. This will take you into to CMOS and reset the defaults.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next