Dell complaints

The #1 Dell complaint forum
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dell Inspirion Hinge Broke AGAIN!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:37 am 
Apprentice Dellhater

Hello everyone,

I'm really fed up with my 2 year old Dell Inspiron 1318 notebook computer. My right laptop hinge has broken for the SECOND time. The plastic has also cracked at the hinges and my laptop is falling apart :( . The first time this happened was about 6 months ago and it was very costly to repair (they had to replace the ENTIRE screen cover). I have done nothing but open and close my laptop, I have not traveled with it nor have I ever dropped it. Within a year and a half of having this laptop I've had to: pay to get the adapter replaced, pay for a technician to help me reinstall software over the phone because my laptop was failing to start, pay for the hinge and laptop screen cover to be replaced. NOW I have a dying battery, and the hinge needs to be replaced AGAIN... I have been paying incredibly high fees for these repairs/replacements and the costs of these replacements have probably covered more than half the cost of what I paid for the computer. This is absolutely ridiculous!! I am disgusted with this poor excuse for a computer and the extortionate repair costs!

Post subject: Re: Dell Inspirion Hinge Broke AGAIN!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:07 pm 
Emperor of Dellhateology

Would you expect anything less than what happens with ultra cheap parts and No quality control? It's the dhell way!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:36 pm 
Apprentice Dellhater

Tailmon wrote:
Would you expect anything less than what happens with ultra cheap parts and No quality control? It's the dhell way!

True. I'm really frustrated with this situation, (as I'm sure we all have been at some point with our various issues due to this company). I don't feel I should have to keep spending money to repair a poorly constructed product. I will be calling them on Monday to complain, (apparently, they don't think that out-of-warranty laptops can have problems on the weekends).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:11 pm 
Admin

Bless you, but don't waste your time on the phone with Dell. Even IN warranty it seldom results in resolution. Out of warranty they will just pitch a $60 'consultation' which at most will give you the part number you need to buy, which you could find yourself for free.

Hinges have been around since the Roman Empire. That Dell can't be bothered making a working one 2000 years later tells you all you need to know. I worked engineering audit on laptops for Dell in 2001 and hinges were never an issue. Now however, they are, chronically. IOW, it's deliberate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:53 pm 
Apprentice Dellhater

Thank for your reply Rocke_T_Sinetist, I really appreciate these responses. I did consider that it might be deliberate as well but I will still contact them because I need some sort of resolution --my laptop cannot function like this :( . Thanks for giving me the heads up on their "consultation" pitch, I will be sure to turn that down. I'll keep you all posted on what happens next when I deal with this despicable company regarding this issue. Wish me luck!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:24 am 
PhDh--Doctor of Dellhateology

Basically if you do not pay for the support the call will be ended. To Dhell out of warrant out of luck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:29 am 
Apprentice Dellhater

Not true for all LOBs, but for the low end home systems and laptops, yeah, consumers are out of luck. But most of those consumers are idiots and have unrealistic expectations no matter what their issue. "Meh Internet's broke. Fix it." The hell with you, go take a course and learn something and stop downloading malware.
Things like hinges are justified complaints. Dell is so f*ing cheap when it comes to parts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:52 am 
Apprentice Dellhater

I have noticed that they definitely aren't concerned about customers who are out of warranty. I don't expect that they will give me free service, but I don't think it's fair that I have to pay for parts that were defective due to their lack of quality control and cheapness.I shouldn't have to cover the full cost on this--they should at least cover the cost of the defective parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:11 am 
Apprentice Dellhater

Update: So I had gotten it fixed last year...not for cheap. 1 year, 5 months later and it has just broke again for the third time! Brilliant!!! :( :cry: Time to get a new flipping computer that isn't Dell! :evil:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]