Dell Inspirion Hinge Broke AGAIN!

Primarily for user issues. We may be able to assist with Dell hardware problems, and other brands.
FedUp11
Apprentice Dellhater

Dell Inspirion Hinge Broke AGAIN!

#1 Postby FedUp11 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:37 am

Hello everyone,

I'm really fed up with my 2 year old Dell Inspiron 1318 notebook computer. My right laptop hinge has broken for the SECOND time. The plastic has also cracked at the hinges and my laptop is falling apart :( . The first time this happened was about 6 months ago and it was very costly to repair (they had to replace the ENTIRE screen cover). I have done nothing but open and close my laptop, I have not traveled with it nor have I ever dropped it. Within a year and a half of having this laptop I've had to: pay to get the adapter replaced, pay for a technician to help me reinstall software over the phone because my laptop was failing to start, pay for the hinge and laptop screen cover to be replaced. NOW I have a dying battery, and the hinge needs to be replaced AGAIN... I have been paying incredibly high fees for these repairs/replacements and the costs of these replacements have probably covered more than half the cost of what I paid for the computer. This is absolutely ridiculous!! I am disgusted with this poor excuse for a computer and the extortionate repair costs!

Tailmon
Emperor of Dellhateology

Re: Dell Inspirion Hinge Broke AGAIN!

#2 Postby Tailmon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Would you expect anything less than what happens with ultra cheap parts and No quality control? It's the dhell way!
Former employee of Dell and can say that they
definitely Suck!

FedUp11
Apprentice Dellhater

#3 Postby FedUp11 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Tailmon wrote:Would you expect anything less than what happens with ultra cheap parts and No quality control? It's the dhell way!

True. I'm really frustrated with this situation, (as I'm sure we all have been at some point with our various issues due to this company). I don't feel I should have to keep spending money to repair a poorly constructed product. I will be calling them on Monday to complain, (apparently, they don't think that out-of-warranty laptops can have problems on the weekends).

Rocke_T_Sinetist
Admin

#4 Postby Rocke_T_Sinetist » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Bless you, but don't waste your time on the phone with Dell. Even IN warranty it seldom results in resolution. Out of warranty they will just pitch a $60 'consultation' which at most will give you the part number you need to buy, which you could find yourself for free.

Hinges have been around since the Roman Empire. That Dell can't be bothered making a working one 2000 years later tells you all you need to know. I worked engineering audit on laptops for Dell in 2001 and hinges were never an issue. Now however, they are, chronically. IOW, it's deliberate.
Rocke T Sinetist
as in, 'it doesn't take a...'

FedUp11
Apprentice Dellhater

#5 Postby FedUp11 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Thank for your reply Rocke_T_Sinetist, I really appreciate these responses. I did consider that it might be deliberate as well but I will still contact them because I need some sort of resolution --my laptop cannot function like this :( . Thanks for giving me the heads up on their "consultation" pitch, I will be sure to turn that down. I'll keep you all posted on what happens next when I deal with this despicable company regarding this issue. Wish me luck!

sweetpotato
PhDh--Doctor of Dellhateology

#6 Postby sweetpotato » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:24 am

Basically if you do not pay for the support the call will be ended. To Dhell out of warrant out of luck.
It is only a matter of time until your hard drive dies. What will you do?

KevinLomaxEsq
Apprentice Dellhater

#7 Postby KevinLomaxEsq » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:29 am

Not true for all LOBs, but for the low end home systems and laptops, yeah, consumers are out of luck. But most of those consumers are idiots and have unrealistic expectations no matter what their issue. "Meh Internet's broke. Fix it." The hell with you, go take a course and learn something and stop downloading malware.
Things like hinges are justified complaints. Dell is so f*ing cheap when it comes to parts.

FedUp11
Apprentice Dellhater

#8 Postby FedUp11 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:52 am

I have noticed that they definitely aren't concerned about customers who are out of warranty. I don't expect that they will give me free service, but I don't think it's fair that I have to pay for parts that were defective due to their lack of quality control and cheapness.I shouldn't have to cover the full cost on this--they should at least cover the cost of the defective parts.

FedUp11
Apprentice Dellhater

#9 Postby FedUp11 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:11 am

Update: So I had gotten it fixed last year...not for cheap. 1 year, 5 months later and it has just broke again for the third time! Brilliant!!! :( :cry: Time to get a new flipping computer that isn't Dell! :evil:

Return to “My Shit's Busted and I Need Help Fixing it”