Dell complaints

The #1 Dell complaint forum
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dell's Policy to Steal Your "Defective" Parts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:31 pm 
Discovering Dellhate

Just another in a long list of complaints with Dell:

I recently splashed a few drops of water on an Inspiron 15R laptop keyboard and apparently shorted something. I turned the computer off and it would not power up at all. I sent it to Dell's Out of Warranty Repairs Center and they told me it would cost $179 to repair it, not including expensive parts like motherboards and displays. So, I sent it to them, they looked at it and they called back to tell me that the motherboard had to be replaced (of course) and it would cost an additional $199. I asked if they did component level troubleshooting and the tech said no. That's akin to saying that your car needs a spark plug, so they have to replace the whole engine. Later, when I called back to authorize the work, I requested that they return my old (defective) motherboard with the repaired laptop. They refused, saying it is not within their policy to return defective parts. Mind you, this is my motherboard that they are refusing to return. When I spoke with the manager, he just repeated the Dell policy. It is "not an option" to return your defective part. I think it is outrageous that Dell has the audacity to charge a total of $378, when all that was needed, most likely, was to replace a failed capacitor, then give themselves license to steal my motherboard. I've had it with Dell's cheating, lying, incompetence and poor quality!!

Post subject: Re: Dell's Policy to Steal Your "Defective" Parts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:23 pm 
Admin

Hi Paul. Cutting Dell's water off is a good thing. No idea why they keep defective parts. Might speculate they aren't really defective and obviously don't want you to find out. Or they get returned as warranty to the vendor for fraudulent credit. Dell is definitely dishonest, in demonstrated ways.

There's not much between keyboard and motherboard. Nothing water resistant. A board that's been wet can't be repaired as once corrosion starts, like rust it keeps going after the water is gone.

Hardly anyone does component-level work on MBs. Certain key components cannot be replaced outside a specialized laboratory. Dell's repair depots do not have the equipment or skill to work on MBs. They only replace assemblies and can't even be counted upon to do that correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:01 pm 
Admin

Especially with the multi-layer boards, and how miniaturized everything is, replacing caps is beyond what most of the dell warrantee service folks are capable of, especially on a laptop.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:54 pm 
Admin

I doubt Dell's depot "techs" are qualified to solder at all.

Quite true, 7-layer boards are not intended to be reworked routinely or reliably. I've reworked 5-layer boards, but I'm qualified to solder anything outside BGAs. Dell's subcontractors won't pay for that kind of experience.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]