Dell complaints

The #1 Dell complaint forum
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: XPS ONE 24
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:41 am 
Apprentice Dellhater

OK, I really like this computer. I have one at work. How the heck can I buy one WITH WHAT I WANT IN IT. The Dhell site, as of right now, will not let you customize this PC in any manner. Talking to the indians on the phone for information is crap. Please help. I really want this computer. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:11 am 
PhDh--Doctor of Dellhateology

Are you sure?
Have you done any searches for reviews?
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-x ... 62543.html

Not so good eh?

Compare with
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple- ... 76339.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:42 am 
Admin

Because of it's specialized nature, they likely wont let you configure it much at all. What are you looking to get out of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:42 am 
Apprentice Dellhater

Starman, the iMac is sexy and I've looked at them alot. I have a few resons for not going that route. 1. My roomate is about to buy the 27 inch fully loaded and my other roomate has a Macbook, so I've got my Apple fix. 2. Because this will not be my workhorse computer, I don't have to have the most powerful PC money can buy. I really like the looks of the XPS ONE above the other all in one's in the PC class. But I've worked with them enough to know it will get the job done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:58 am 
Apprentice Dellhater

diashto, the configuration I'd like is this: XPS ONE 24, Quad Core, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9600 GT 512MB Video card, Harddrive-whatever, Windows 7 Ultimate and white case. They used to let you customize with different parts but they've stopped for some reason. What am I going to use it for? It will be in my living room and used for downloading and surfing the web, with maybe a little bit of minor audio video editing. MINOR. If anyone finds one with the Nvidia 9600 GT 512MB let me know or if you have any more info on this, let me know! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:09 am 
Emperor of Dellhateology

OK, here is my 2 cents worth....

Why, oh why are you wanting to buy a DHell?

Especially after coming to this site. I assume you've looked around and read up on the company whose machine you're looking to acquire. If you haven't, then please do so post haste.

DHell is definitely not the computer I would recommend to anyone. In fact I used to work for them and my recommendation to anyone needing a new computer is to avoid DHell like the plague. If you really need more reasons to not buy a DHell, after reading some of the posts on this site, I'm sure that some of the posters here can provide you with such ammunition.

In short, in the name of all that is holy, please do not bring more punishment on yourself than you have to....do not buy a DHell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:11 am 
Admin

you're sure they used to offer those options on this specific model? If they don't make the parts for it (its all integrated, like a laptop) then you wont be able to get it. That's one of the pitfalls of the all-in-one design... there's little to no upgradeability.

There may have been production issues with the nVidia board, or it could just be sold out with no intention of making more.. or they may only be offering it with the (RED) version now (comes with blu-ray, etc), which appears to be not customizable at this time.

To be 100% honest, you dont need the nVidia GPU to downloading and websurfing, or video editing. The GMA9500 chip will do that just fine, the only thing you'd need the nVidia chip for would be gaming.

I'm not sure why they don't have the win7 ultimate upgrade, but it could just be that they're holding onto ultimate licenses for alienware/higher end xps stuff now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:37 pm 
Apprentice Dellhater

I'm fairly sure there were SOME options, not exactly what they were. Right now the Dell UK store offers the XPS ONE with that video card, but then they only offer 2 GB RAM. I've had a few of these opened up at work, pretty easy to upgrade RAM, HD, Optical Drive, Video Card. The OS isn't a huge deal, I could get it after market. It just baffles me why they don't offer SOME customization. Not even the harddrive?? Oh well, I'll be patient and maybe pick one up from ebay or maybe even run across one on the Outlet site. But you notice anything, please let me know! Thanks for your input on the situation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:58 pm 
Apprentice Dellhater

incident_man, I know dell is struggling right now and I absolutely abhor what they call customer service, it's a disgrace. But the fact is I like the look of the all in one they offer. The HP touchsmart is ugly as sin, even though the 2nd gen looks a little better. Plus I DON'T want a touchscreen. The iMac is beautiful, but I don't want a mac. Plus my roomies have them. And there are some really ugly all in one PC's out there. Acer, eMachines, dell Vostro just to name a few. That brings me to the Sony. The all in one's from Sony never looked grat either....Until recently. They announced a Vaio RT (I don't think it's for sale yet) and it looks really good. I probably like it because it reminds me of the XPS ONE....on crack. But it's going to be pretty expensive. I was hoping to pick up a dell around 1000. But if I continue to wait, Im sure I could get a much better deal. But I AM excited about the Sony. Though I still want the Dell, I am wary of the situation.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]