Dell complaints

The #1 Dell complaint forum
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dell DataSafe Local Backup does not work correctly
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:36 am 
Discovering Dellhate

THE GOOD
I bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop nearly 2 years ago. This is the best computer I have ever owned. Fast and reliable with no problems at all. You are probably all thinking at this point how lucky I am, so am I after reading the posts on this site.

THE BAD
Late December last year I purchased "Dell DataSafe Local Backup Premium" over the internet and paid for it via PayPal. I was overcharged about $10 for the software. Wrote numerous e-mails to them and either got no replies or replies that made no attempt to resolve the overcharge. As I paid for it using PayPal I lodged a PayPal dispute and later escalated it to a PayPal claim for the $10 overcharge. Once escalated to a claim Dell had 10 days to respond to PayPal to argue their case. Dell never replied to PayPal hence PayPal decided the case in my favour and refunded me the $10 overcharge I was claiming. At this point I was now happy, dispute resolved, Dell received the correct amount for the software and I had the software which appeared to be working just fine. A week ago my files on the computer got all messes up (possibly my fault). The last backup I made on my computer was about 1 week earlier and the easiest and quickest way to fix my computer was to recover my computer back to how it was on my last backup (1 week earlier). This software makes a complete image of the hard drive, not just backing up my files. So I went ahead and restored my computer back to then. All looked good on my computer but I soon found out lots of my programs would no longer run. Then the fun and games all really started.

THE UGLY
I contacted Dell about it hoping for a simple fix to the problem and as far as they were concerned I had lodged a claim with my credit card provider who refunded me the full purchase price. Dell wanted me to authorise them to deduct the full price from my credit card again before they would even consider helping me out. I notified them that it was done via PayPal and not my credit card and the amount refunded was only for the overcharged amount of $10. I even sent them the PayPal letter saying the claim was decided in my favour and $10 was refunded to me. The PayPal letter had all the transaction id's, customer numbers, claim number and even the Dell invoice number for the software I bought. Dells response to that was they have still not been paid and they gave me a transaction number to follow up with PayPal. Rang PayPal with that transaction number and PayPal confirmed it had nothing to do with my purchase at all. In one of the e-mails I got from Dell they mentioned DEACTIVATED and as the letter was poorly constructed I assume (bet I am correct) they were talking about my software. This is the most likely cause that the restore has not worked properly.

SUMMARY
They overcharged me. I recovered the overcharge via PayPal. Dell deactivated my software(didn't tell me at the time) and wants me to pay for it again. Now have the nerve to blame PayPal for the mix up. PayPal has referred me to their Fraud Squad. I could have written heaps more about this issue but after reading other posts on this site, it sounds like I am not alone. Dell needs to be stopped, they are criminals, sorry about the typo, think I meant to say criminDells.

Post subject: Re: Dell DataSafe Local Backup does not work correctly
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:46 am 
Emperor of Dellhateology

If you haven't read it in the forum posts. Dhell has been taken to court in nearly every state for scamming people and lost. Contact your state's attourney general about your problem. I'm betting he has Dhell on speed dial. As you have found out. Dhell runs a good scam and also loves to blackmail people for more money if not tricking them for more of it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:01 am 
Discovering Dellhate

Hi Tailmon. I live in Australia and will be contacting local authorities and the media. Dell MUST be put out of business (is that even the correct word for their operations?). They are definately scammers hiding behind a supposedly well known brand name. Atleast the "factory image" restore still works on my computer but what a headache to get my computer back to how it was. Backup my files, restore to factory, update all software, reinstall my other software, update them, recover my files, redo all the settings. This is the exact reason I purchased this DataSafe Local Backup program so it can all be put back to how it was on my last backup in one easy step.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:46 am 
Emperor of Dellhateology

Something you might want to consider when wanting to backup or save your files is one of the new portable sata Drives. My new Non Dhell comp (Check out Leaving the world of Dhell thread) has a provision to plug one to do such things as transfer and save files.