Dell complaints

The #1 Dell complaint forum
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What now?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:37 pm 
Journeyman Dellhater

So here is my story...

I bought a Dell XPS710 4 years ago and payed for the 4 year next day warranty (around $400). The mobo died with still 40 days left on the warranty (lucky I guess) and called them up and they promptly sent out a new mobo. This was November 30 2010. The problem was it was the wrong mobo so the tech called Dell and they then sent another mobo, again this was the wrong mobo. The tech called again, and then a dell rep called me back and told me that rather then replace the mobo they would replace the computer (Dec 8 2010). Fine, he said 10-15 business days and I would have the new computer.

The order status on my account on Dec 13 said order was being processed and delivery date of Dec 28th. I waited until Jan 3 2011 to call and see what was happening, giving them the benefit of the doubt for the holidays. I was told that the computer was in production and would be shipped on or before the 21 of Jan 2011. Fine I said, I am a rather patient person I could wait even though it would be nearly 2 months with no proper computer. On Jan 7 a Dell rep called and was apologetic and said the order was still in production and would be shipped by the 21st.

Today, the 21st of Jan I look at the order on the Dell site and it says canceled!??! I call Dell and again this morning and spend an hour on the phone and they tell me that it has been canceled because it was not approved or something. She wouldn't put me through to anyone that can actually make a decision. This was approved and processed over a month ago and now she tells me she has to send more papers to supervisors to approve the replacement system again and it is a 50/50 chance it will not be approved.

This is absolutely crazy. I spent $400ish on a 24 hour next business day warranty, it has been nearly 2 months and now I have to wait for anther 2 business days for an approval that was approved over a month ago and being Friday this will not be until Monday, more likely Tuesday. I am seriously considering filing in small claims court for lack of holding up to their warranty or making a complaint to the BBB.

There is no way to e-mail anyone who can actually do anything. Does anyone here have any advice as to what I can do here? I feel so disappointed and angry right now. I have been sitting here with a computer I paid $4000 for and a $400 warranty that is useless. And to complicate matters the warranty is now expired but it was still valid for 40 days when the work order began. :cry: :evil:

Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:15 pm 
Admin

I'd like to ascribe this to a conspiracy to run you past warranty expiration, but really I don't think they're that organized. Specially since they were shipping (wrong) parts and the warehouse picker who makes them 'wrong' doesn't know your warranty expires in 40 days.

Surprising the order sat 'in process' so long before being cancelled. Evidently there ARE no more MBs for that model so they couldn't build or refurbish one. When the order came up for review as to what to substitute is when the cancellation took place. They figured they could get away with it.

But you ARE entitled to a replacement system anytime they are unable to repair yours under warranty. "Equal or better" is the exact wording. They're just feeling disinclined to live up to their obligations, which is standard Dell practice for which a majority of the states have already sued them and won.

If you happen to live in one of those states, Dell is on court notice to cease their deceptive and dodging practices. A short note to your attorney general will get you what Dell is legally obligated to provide. Other than when threatened by legal or financial (creditcard) authority Dell is about as responsive as a cinderblock.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:46 pm 
Journeyman Dellhater

Thanks for that, I am in Canada so I dont really know the process of an AG or if we even have that process here (I sure we do though). I will for sure look to see how that process works here over the weekend and how to go about it. I agree that it is not likely a conspiracy to run me out of warranty. I am just so upset right now. I spent a boat load of money for that XPS710 with the extended warranty just so crap like this wouldnt happen and now I have been 2 months with a crappy laptop. I guess my only option atm is to wait for another few days until they get back to me and then go from there.

The other thing is they sent me the specs for the replacement here:

1 224-8526 Alienware Aurora-R2 $900.99
1 311-9521 HEAT SINK, MAINSTREAM, DELL OPTIPLEX DT $0.00
1 313-8752 AlienFX Color Astral Aqua $0.00
1 313-9404 Single Drive: 24X DVD, AVDT $0.00
1 313-9582 Cosmic Black, 525W PSU, AVDT $0.00
1 313-9776 Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio, INFO, CDT $0.00
1 317-3789 3GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz, AVDT $0.00
1 317-4979 Intel Core i3 540, AVDT $0.00
1 320-7810 NO MONITOR $0.00
1 320-8910 ATI Radeon HD 5670, AVDT $0.00
1 330-6074 Alienware MM Keyboard,AWDT $0.00
1 330-6082 Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100 $0.00
1 330-8019 Accessory Kit, Aurora, Eng, AVDT $0.00
1 330-8046 DELL RESOURCE DVD,BACK-UP, AVDT $0.00
1 342-9852 500GB - SATA-II 3Gb/s 7200RPM, AVDT $0.00
1 410-0333 MCAFEE SECURITY CENTER 11,30D,NOKIT,AWDT $0.00
1 410-1867 ADOBE READER 9.0,MLANG,I/S/X DT $0.00
1 420-6436 PC-RESTORE, DIM/INSP $0.00
1 420-9691 DATASAFE LOCAL BACKUP $0.00
1 421-0975 NERO 9,ANWDT $0.00
1 421-1424 Alienhead 3D $0.00
1 421-1443 Steam with Portal $0.00
1 421-2064 WIN 7 HOME PREM, 64, ENG,AW CDT $30.00
1 464-7384 Exchange $0.00

A few parts were not even "equal or better" (my XPS has a 2 CD/DVD rw drives and a 750 PSU), but I was told "wait until the replacement arrives dial xxx-xxx-xxxx and we will send out upgraded parts to a tech who will install them". I am just so f'n angry right now staring at the 70lb weight under my desk.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:56 pm 
Graduate Dellhater

just to thought this out there dell may advertise the hardware warranty as next business day. it is not. it is next business day after the technician receives the parts. this unfortunately dose not apply to system exchange. dell is remarkably slow when it comes to a typical system exchange. the quickest a system exchange ever happens is 21 business days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:32 pm 
PhDh--Doctor of Dellhateology

Since you reported the problem before the warranty ran up Dhell is obligated to repair or replace the system. When 2 motherboard did not fix the problem. Dhell's policy is to replace the system. They are making you go through the hoops and hoping you will give up. Best bet is find a legal recourse, but do not go to dhell and tell them. They will stop talking to you and give you the number to their legal office and end of call.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:56 pm 
Journeyman Dellhater

sweetpotato wrote:
Since you reported the problem before the warranty ran up Dhell is obligated to repair or replace the system. When 2 motherboard did not fix the problem. Dhell's policy is to replace the system. They are making you go through the hoops and hoping you will give up. Best bet is find a legal recourse, but do not go to dhell and tell them. They will stop talking to you and give you the number to their legal office and end of call.

Ahh, that is good to know thanks, otherwise the next time I talked to them I would have said I was going to file a claim. I am going to wait until they phone me next week, if they do, then proceed from there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:12 pm 
Graduate Dellhater

Where are you in Canada? you can go through the Consumer Protection Agency if you get nowhere, or the BBB. In QC they are very very efficient, especially when it comes to extended warranties.

Ahh, that is good to know thanks, otherwise the next time I talked to them I would have said I was going to file a claim. I am going to wait until they phone me next week, if they do, then proceed from there.[/quote]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:27 pm 
Journeyman Dellhater

Im in BC, I was thinking of checking into the BBB as well. I will also look at the Consumer Protection Agency if I dont get a proper solution early next week. Thanks for all the help everyone, it is good to know there are people out there trying to help the little person in this type and so many of the other horror stories I have read on this site. Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:46 pm 
Admin

Dell has found they can claim BBB complaints "resolved" and BBB won't take it any further. IOW, they found someone else they can lie to.

The only 2 entities they CAN'T lie to are creditcard companies and state/province attorneys. CCCs for new purchases, attorneys for warranty fulfillment.

We know Dell's dirty tricks and the few solutions there are. In the course of you bringing us the stories and we sometimes solving them, we keep up on what they are and others get to see, hopefully before they buy. If Dell weren't so intent on being pirates, we wouldn't be so intent on exposing them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:54 am 
Graduate Dellhater

Then the best bet would be through the Consumer Protection Agency. In Canada Consumer Protection Agency gets results everytime.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:28 pm 
Graduate Dellhater

that is not the dell policy.
a system can have 1 million motherboard replaced. it doesnt matter the only time a system exchange will be considered is for a safety capture. unless a major component (motherboard or lcd) has been replace with in 30 days. used to be it didn't matter how old the system was if the motherboard was swapped within 30 days and did not resolve the issue a system exg could be offered. if a different problem cam up pretty much allways dell will suggest re install of windows.
there has been a new police introduced where no matter what if the system is older than 2 years a system exchange is not an option.
sweetpotato wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:36 pm 
Admin

You are mistaken, gunr. The policy is, replace the system if 3 successive attempts to repair the same complaint fail within 90 days. Completely irrespective of which components are replaced.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:35 pm 
Graduate Dellhater

Rocke_T_Sinetist wrote:
You are mistaken, gunr. The policy is, replace the system if 3 successive attempts to repair the same complaint fail within 90 days. Completely irrespective of which components are replaced.

no, im not. im at work right now and i have the policy in front of me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:42 pm 
Graduate Dellhater

"Offer System EXG when the 2nd dispatch setup is also a High Value Commodity & if it falls within 30 days of creating the first dispatch.
We can also offer an onsite (depends on customer preference due to time taken for System EXG). Create a refurbished EXG."

-DSN

at this point the dsn article has not been updates to reflect the change in policy regarding the 2 year rule. it will soon.

search "system exchange" in dsn if youd like to see for your self.
you may after to alter your dsn profile to

"Country of the Customer you support" united states of America
"enter your role" ytt dsn profile.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:40 pm 
Admin

Well then, that makes it substantially worse than it was 5 years ago when I last worked there. At least we know one thing, which direction they're headed.