Dell complaints

The #1 Dell complaint forum
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dell W3000 LCD TV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:18 pm 
Discovering Dellhate

I need some help and advice. Within a year of purchasing the W3000 LCD TV is developed the following problem. When turning it on I would get only the sound and not the picture. This problem has gotten worse over the years. I bought it at the end of 2005.
It's out of warranty. But looking through the Dell Forum, there are over 100 people who have complained about the same problem. Some were under warranty and had the same problems with the replacement. With that many people (and more) complaining about the same problem it is clear that Dell put a defective product on the market. Dell is NOT interested in treating their customers in an ethical manner but seems to be interested in the profits.
I can't get any information from Dell (how many were repaired, what part was defective, who made the TV).
I've written all the members of the Board of Directors for some help. I've filed a complaint form with California Department of Consumer Affairs. I've asked for help for actionline in San Jose Mercury News. I'm getting no where.
All I want done is to have the TV repaired with Dell picking up the costs.
Anyone have any suggestions????? I need some help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:04 pm 
Admin

Does anyone know a route by which Dell TVs can be repaired? At all, no matter who pays for it? We already know that when a Dell warranty expires, you're on your own.

Dell TVs were made by a Chinese vendor with no public presence. That is, they are not named, and it wouldn't help you if they were, because they publish no service manuals and distribute no replacement parts. They take no responsibility for the product whatsoever, other than replacing it when Dell sends them one that broke within warranty.

At one time there was a Federal trade law that parts had to be made available for products over a certain value, for a specified minimum time. But that law appears to have been rewritten, or Dell TVs fall below the value.

The good news is, it's an LCD and not plasma. When Dell plasma TVs die, there's little you can do with them besides turn them into widescreen ant farms. Good chance what's wrong with it is the backlight has failed. There may be generic replacements for those, they're only a little different from household fluorescent bulbs. Call around to TV repair stores that advertise 'all brands'. The lamp power supply is also highly subject to failure. A very sharp repair shop can fix those with generic parts too, depending on exactly what failed. But if it's a proprietary part like a transformer, that was designed specifically for that model, I don't think there is any recourse.

I'm surprised the California attorney general isn't taking action on this, because CA has some of the better consumer laws in the country, and selling an unserviceable product without prior notification that it can't be serviced outside warranty should be a violation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:48 pm 
PhDh--Doctor of Dellhateology

If it's the backlights, usually you can see the ghost of an image if you shine a bright light at the panel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:03 pm 
Admin

Thanks Starman, I forgot to mention that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:33 pm 
Discovering Dellhate

Thanks for the info. Someone in the Dell Forum mentioned that it could be an inverter. Don't know what that is exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:18 am 
Admin

They are referring to the lamp power supply. Up close, at an angle, do you see a ghost image on the dark screen? If yes, the lamp/supply is not working, and that should be the only problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:10 pm 

Did a couple of google searches, It looks to me like a bad power supply.
People have power up problems very soon after getting a new one.
Backlights take a long time to burn out, 1000's of hours usually.
Unless you leave the TV on 24x7, I don't think that's it.

They probably used really substandard caps in the power supply. This is a common place for their Chinese suppliers to shave a few bucks off the cost.
This trick works just fine for the warranty period if they guess the life time right. In this case they missed it by about a factor of 2. So a lot of sets die after 6 months. This is not the first Dell product with this problem.

If you open it up, I'll bet you find some of the caps are bulging or leaking.
Sometimes a competent electronics shop can fix them. Sometimes the failed caps take out other components that are made of what is known as 'unobtainium' in the business. The only way to get them is to buy a doner set with a different problem, i.e. dropped, and swap parts.

Google> dell w3000 power.supply
http://www.fixya.com/support/t196017-de ... video_just

Post subject: Dell W3000 LCD
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:45 am 
Discovering Dellhate

It is MOST LIKELY a bad inverter board. This is the board that connects to the lamps. Bad board = No Lamps = Sound with no picture. It is a very easy repair and the part can be found online for $150. http://www.lcdparts.net/LCDTVInverter.aspx

Hope this helps!! :D

Post subject: Supply
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:42 pm 
Discovering Dellhate

#
# Samsung SIT260WD16C00 Back Light Inverter It is 64.95 here, for the same board so the link posted above it was 179.95
http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalog/produc ... -inverter/

Always search part numbers to find the best deals. LCD parts and lamps are a big cash cow for some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:58 pm 
Admin

Local TV shop was working on a "Dell" when I took my Sony there. They couldn't fix the Sony, parts not available (I'll never buy another Sony). But the internals of the Dell are semi-standard parts. Very expensive, but available.

Post subject: w3000 - no audio/video - green power light on
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:16 am 
Discovering Dellhate

dell w3000 - no audio - no video - green power light does come on - speakers "pop" when power is turned off - - - any ideas on an easy and inexpensive fix?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:21 pm 
Admin

Something up the signal chain, to be missing both pic and sound. The thump means at least some part of the power supply is working, and that it turns on and off means at least part of the controller is working.

Best I know and according to the shop guy here there is nothing inexpensive to replace in one of those flatscreens. Dirty little secret they don't want you to know before you buy one and get stuck. Not like you have a choice, CRT TVs are no longer made above 15".

Where CRT TVs tended to last 8-12 years, you won't get anywhere near that longevity from a flatscreen. On top of that they cost 4-10 times more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:19 pm 

From what I've been told, Dell flat screens are just re-branded Samsungs. Just like HP's are re-branded Panasonics. And a huge number of flat screens of all names and sizes use LG boards.

Never throw away your old CRT. Flat screens are nowhere near as reliable. I made a lot of money in 2008 just with simple break-fix work swapping out boards and components on all types of flat screen TV's. A "sound no picture" is almost certainly a mainboard, a very expensive component on any flat screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 pm 
Discovering Dellhate

thanks for the replies.

luckily, i have not shelled out any money for this set. i grabbed it from a friend who was simply not using it. he is aware that there is an issue, just not sure what that issue is. i have read a lot of bad comments on this particular model last night. 99.9% mentioned no video but sound. gave some little tricks that worked (turning off/on power 10 or so times... unplug unit - press and hold on button - plug back in (apparently this is to reset the power supply)... plus some other weird things).

i guess i'll just give him back the set and let him deal with exposing of it. i was simply looking to replace my dual 19" monitors for my pc. no biggie.

thanks again. take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:41 am 

Good luck. Sometimes you can find useful information buried on the web.

I had a personal client with a dead Vizio 32 inch TV. Amber power light, no picture. I found a web page that detailed how to fix it with a ten-cent resistor at radio shack. It required some soldering, but a half hour later I had his TV up and running, and he didn't have to pay $700 for a new mainboard. Was definitely worth the $150 cash he paid me! :D :D :D