Dell complaints

The #1 Dell complaint forum
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What products does PN1 still make?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:17 am 
Apprentice Dellhater

What system types does PN1 make - i.e., what can I order from Dell and know it will come from PN1 and not one of the many facilities in Mexico?

Post subject: Re: What products does PN1 still make?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:20 am 
Emperor of Dellhateology

It's hard to say. PN1 mainly ran servers. They at one time did some of the high end XPS desktops.
From that I still know of the place. They still do servers mainly to satisfy the "Must be made in
the USA contracts. My opinion is to not even waste your time buying any Dhell computer. The
competitors make a better product with better parts and actually still have quality control and
safeguards. Add into that they have better customer service and Tech support.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:57 pm 
Apprentice Dellhater

True - but the hybrid line built a bit of everything. I can't imagine it has been shut down, though after visiting every former Dell facility in the past few weeks, there is no telling. I'll post a website about that in the next few weeks.

At any rate, I own systems from BRK, EG1, TMC and WS1 - the only one missing from my collection in PN1. That's ironic, because that's the only plant that is still running!

While I understand your concerns about Dell not making the best system anymore, you will have a hard time convincing me that Acer, Gateway and HPs are THAT much better - besides, I want a PN1 system for nostalgia more than anything. All of the retail systems I'm finding are from Mexico - thank you, but no.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm 

The last I heard, as of July 2012, PN1 no longer makes anything. A current (now former) DHell employee told me early last year that DHell was going to completely shutdown all remaining production lines and layoff all remaining DHell badged employees by July.

After the shutdown, PN1 was going to be converted to "Process" Government contract and must be "Made in the USA" orders using third-party contractors (aka people working for a variety of Temp agencies that are working for CEVA Logistics that works for DHell). (Now that I think about it, maybe the better description would be fourth-party contractors.)

In this case "Process" means that PN1 will receive shipments of the necessary hardware (PC's, Servers, Laptops, etc.) from the FoxConn plants in Mexico, unload said hardware and place it into "Burn" cells to have the necessary software imaged to the hard drives. After the "Burn" cycle completes, the systems will be packaged and sent to the customers. According to DHell, since the software imaging took place in the USA, this meets contractual requirements for these types of orders.

A: Until proven otherwise, Assume EVERYTHING coming from Dell Management is a lie.